DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IS A REAL THING
What is domestic violence?
Domestic violence occurs when someone in an intimate relationship attempts to gain and maintain power or control through physical, verbal, emotional, sexual, social, financial, psychological, spiritual and/or cultural abuse.
It can include:
- Unreasonably controlling a person by withholding money for reasonable living expenses where a person is dependent on them for financial support.
- Threatening to harm another family member or pet.
- Stalking and damage to property.
- Racist taunts that inflict emotional harm.
- Preventing contact with other family members or friends in order to torment and isolate.
- Cyber stalking and technological abuse.
What causes domestic violence?
- The unequal distribution of power and resources between men and women.
- An adherence to rigidly defined gender roles.
- Broader cultures of violence.